Monday, August 16, 2010

Pet-sitting/Writing Retreat

Melissa--Jeff's sister--asked if we wanted to pet sit their golden retriever, Lolly. I left the decision with Jeff--he's the one who has a job commute to consider.

Jeff remembered that I hadn't been on a writing retreat this year, and suggested that I could use this housesitting assignment as a writer's retreat. He even offered to bring back take-out every night. (I have said that having fixed meal times--especially if the food is good--is helpful for writing--you don't have to think about and plan dinner--just show up.)

I'll be upfront. So far I haven't done much writing. I read U is for Undertow in two days, read lots of blog posts, watched TV and movies. I am trying to convince myself that this is part of my creative process and I have to ease into my writing.

I did my morning pages--yesterday slowly and haltingly--a little faster and smoother today. I looked at my Presbyterian Flirtation piece--I have been struggling with that since I started it about two weeks ago. I should just leave it and work on something else.

Yesterday, I also started something about my dad's death--133 words--pitiful output for sure.

Wondering if I should work with Russia and Egypt trips. Regardless, I need to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment