Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Too Little, Too Late

On Saturday afternoon, we went to Citi Field for a Mets game for the first time in two years. RA Dickey took a no-hitter into the seventh inning (after being perfect through five.) I joked at the end of the first inning that he had a no-hitter--hope I didn't jinx it. A no-hitter remains an elusive goal for the Mets.

The Phillies scored first in the seventh and I had a sinking feeling that Dickey's great performance was wasted. Enter Valentino Pascucci (who?)  in the bottom of the seventh who homered. David Wright doubled in the winning run in the eighth. We returned home to watch the Mets beat the Phillies again in the nightcap.

A sweep was a pleasant surprise: I had prepared myself for defeats. But I couldn't help but be disappointed that the games were essentially meaningless--the Phillies had already won the NL East and the Mets' poor home stand ensured that they would have a losing season.

Regardless of the mounting disappointments over the past five years, I am a Mets fan. Being a Mets fan has become a part of my identity. I hope their current lows will only serve to enhance their future highs.

No comments:

Post a Comment