Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Word Choice and the Writer

Yesterday I wrote in my journal that I was riddled with mosquito bites. I wondered if that was the right word. Usually when you hear the word riddled, the context is a body riddled with bullets or cancer. In contrast, a person is covered in mosquito bites.

I wondered if pondering correct word usage made me a writer. I decided no, that made me an editor.

Silencing the editor (or the censor) is a big part of writing. Editing is crucial but it has to be at the right time--the right time is NOT during the first draft. The first draft is about getting the words down, getting into the flow. You can--and should--always go back to fix things later.

Then I started thinking about blogging and writing. I loved this line from the movie, Contagion. I remembered conversations and this post.  I have questioned whether I am "really" a writer many times. I remember how psyched I was when my friend Annette said she always refers to me as a writer regardless of how I'm making a living.

I write. OK, so I'm a writer. Maybe not your kind of writer, but I'm my kind of sporadic, half-assed writer.

By the way, "riddled" is pierced with many holes. So riddled works with mosquito bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment