Saturday, June 3, 2017

Binge-Watching Twin Peaks

I had just gotten to episode two of season one about two weeks ago. Well, I finished the eight episodes of season one and 22 episodes of season two by May 29th. I belatedly discovered that Showtime would only have the original series on demand until May 30th--binge time. Yesterday, I found that Showtime had reinstated the complete series as well as the film Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me. I have to re-watch that film--as I recall it's gruesome--but my memories are vague.

Back to the original series, I loved it originally and on re-watch. My memories of the second season were vague (like the movie.) I think I enjoyed most of the story lines the first time around. On re-watch, I'm more critical.

Going from eight to 22 episodes was a mistake. The writers had to add too many subplots that weren't particularly entertaining. The worst offenders were James and his journey to low-rate noir and Benjamin's Horne's Civil War interlude. Neither story had any relation to the overall season arc.

Another problem was teenage Nadine. This subplot was kind of funny, but again had no relation to the season arc. Hmm, was teenage Nadine the inspiration for Dena Higley's teenage Jess on One Life to Live? For the record, Nadine's storyline was much better.

We watched the first new episodes of the new Twin Peaks--not sure what to make of it. I think I need a re-watch to figure out what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment