Monday, May 24, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

After I woke up Sunday and brewed some coffee, I checked out what was on TV. I wanted to see what time the Mets were playing and check out what movies were on TCM. I love old movies, especially Warner Brothers films and most especially Bette Davis movies.

I found a Jersey Shore marathon. Last year, I was intrigued by a promo for the first episode when I realized that the action takes place in Seaside Heights, NJ. My cousin owns a house in Ortley Beach, within walking distance of the Seaside boardwalk. I spent many summer days in that house. I had to check the show out. But I didn't just watch the first episode; I was sucked in. I watched every show, multiple times.

I don't know what kept me glued to the screen. I'd be lying if I said I was studying the show to learn about the guido subculture. I was just fascinated. And I was obviously not alone as Jersey Shore mania swept the country.

What is it that makes something a guilty pleasure? Is it just the idea that if I didn't watch Jersey Shore, I'd be doing something worthwhile? Would I be volunteering with the homeless, reading Proust or writing the next great American novel? Who decides what is a worthwhile use of time? (Full disclosure here: I'm the woman who won Nanowrimo, writing a mystery novel using VH1 reality stars as my characters.)

I don't have any answers. But I will be watching Season 2 in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment