Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why A blog? Part Two

In my first post, I talked about having something to say and being discovered. Being discovered is a long time fantasy of mine. On a trip to California with relatives when I was about 13, I joked that I would be discovered and made a star, a la Lana Turner sipping a soda at a Hollywood drug store.

Years later I fantasized that my beagle, Spike would be discovered in a visit to New York City, allowing me to quit my job to become his manager. My latest fantasy is being discovered as a great writer via this blog. (FYI, the most realistic of these fantasies was the discovery of Spike. Just look how cute he is in my profile picture and that is far from his best photo.)

But back to this blog. I started it to force myself to write every day. I'm not there yet. I do journal every day; specifically I write morning pages http://www.theartistsway.com/tools/. But morning pages are not real writing--Julia Cameron characterizes then as brain drain. Morning pages can jump start writing. I've also won Nanowrimo, writing 50,000 words in 30 days. That proves to me that I'm capable of serious output, but even then I skipped a day or two.

This blog will be a record of how well I meet the goal of writing every day--not just for a month but for a continuing mission.

2 comments:

  1. Ok. Here is my silly fantasy. My Halloween costume is to go as “The Situation” from the Jersey Shore. To achieve this mantra would have to ne GTL (Gym, Tan, Laundry) I guess at this stage I should concentrate on the G and T. I don’t mean Gin and Tonics, darling. I would also have to work on my fist pumping, as that I am more of a mover than a dancer. Something to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean you'll be doing the laundry?

    ReplyDelete