Friday, September 17, 2010

Mind-Writing

In a week when I did little writing, I was thinking about Stephen King's The Tommyknockers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tommyknockers. The aspect that intrigued me was that under the influence of an alien spacecraft, Roberta could actually write by using her thoughts to control her typewriter. Of course, there's a terrible price to pay.

I often write in my head. When I walk with Spike I think about this blog--writing lines for entries as well as lines of poetry. I think about plots for novels and sometimes I narrate my actions (a la Tobey Maguire in Wonder Boys.) When I'm hiking, I look at odd shapes in rocks and tree branches and let my imagination go. Sometimes when people watching, I imagine myself driving off in a passing car or being part of a nearby family.

I tell myself that this thinking is an important process--a crucial part of my writing. But I need to produce on the paper. Suddenly I'm reminded of the SAT: ETS doesn't care about the actual work done nor does it give partial credit. The only thing that matters: did you darken the correct oval?

No comments:

Post a Comment