Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow-Cramped Lifestyle

Last week my friend Debbie complained that the snow was so bad, it was starting to affect our lifestyles. She's had problems getting out to find a new location for her business.

I don't have a full time job, so I don't have to drive every day. Instead I can arrange my tutoring appointments and errands around bad weather. That's a luxury many can't afford.

Snow and ice are piled along every street, in every yard and parking lot. Cars parked in front of our building block an entire lane of traffic. Walking anywhere is difficult. Some sidewalks have not been shoveled at all making people venture onto the roads. Other sidewalks are are covered in a blend of snow, ice, sand and salt.

Going anywhere is such a challenge, it's easier to just stay home. I'm not alone in feeling this way: http://jezebel.com/5752792/cabin-fever-is-serious-business. January's poor economic results are even attributed to bad weather; people can't shop if they can't get out.

The only good thing right now is that the days are getting longer. I cling to the hope that it will get warm. someday. soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment