Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tudor Tuesday?

For most of the last two days, Jeff and I have been staying inside because of the storm (insert corny snow name here.) Yesterday Jeff happened to find a show on the National Geographic channel about the secrets of Elizabeth I. I caught only part of the program. It focused on possible theories why Elizabeth didn't marry and produce an heir: she was scared by her bad parental example, she was a hermaphrodite, she was in love with Robert Dudley. The most bizarre--Elizabeth died as a young girl and was replaced by a boy.

The next program was on the body of Henry VIII. This show was more fact-based and less speculative than the show about Elizabeth. I was particularly interested in the discussion and recreation of Henry's jousting accident. He was either unconscious or unable to speak for two hours afterward (the reports are ambiguous.) Ironically, Henry's attempts to show his strength and vigor by jousting led to injuries that aged and weakened him. This accident also contributed to Anne Boleyn's downfall and death; she miscarried a male fetus upon hearing about the accident.

That wasn't the end of the Tudors last night. TCM showed The Private Life of Henry VIII, A Man for All Seasons and Anne of the Thousand Days. I had seen A Man for All Seasons recently. It's been years since I've seen the other two: I recorded them to watch when I have more time. I'm curious how I'll react to Anne of the Thousand Days--that film may have started my fascination with Anne Boleyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment