Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

As a kid, I loved Halloween. I mean what wasn't to like? Dressing up, enjoying a costume party at school, getting candy from everyone. My mother was a talented seamstress and could create whatever costumes we wanted. I remember one year I was Cousin Itt from the Addams family.

I believe that I am of the last generation to go out trick-or-treating. I remember heading out with a pillow case with my friends with no parents along to chaperone.  Today I rarely see kids out without their parents. I think parents take young kids around their neighborhood in the daytime or take them to supervised parties. We haven't had trick-or-treaters at our door in years.

As an adult, I wasn't particularly into Halloween until we met Jenn and John at the dog park. They are true aficionados--they have a party every year with a theme (this year was Heaven and Hell) and they decorate their house inside and out. This year Jeff and I dressed as devils--not particularly creative but kind of fun. The most creative costumes were made by the couple who channeled angel food cake and devil dogs.  (I had thought that Jeff could go as Mets outfielder Angel Pagan who would have been relatively easy to recreate and I could be devil's food cake which I had no idea how to accomplish.)

I'm already thinking about next year's theme: Tim Burton films--my favorite is Ed Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment