Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hooray for RA! Dickey Wins His 20th

It was a beautiful day and RA Dickey won his 20th game striking out 13 batters in the process. RA is the sixth 20-game winner in Mets history and the first since Frank Viola 22 years ago. David Wright got an assist with a three-run homer.

I hope that today's performance will clinch the Cy Young Award for RA. If so, he will join Tom Seaver and Dwight Gooden as Mets Cy Young winners. (I was surprised to see that Seaver won three in '69, '73 and '75; that was before I became a baseball fan. Also, I lived in Phillies territory at the time--if I saw any baseball games it was with my father, a big Phillies fan.)

I secretly hoped for a no-hitter, but was happy just to see the Mets get a win. RA fell behind early, giving up two runs in the top of the second.  He left in the 8th inning just short of the third out. Jon Rauch made things a bit scary as he did in RA's last outing, but the Mets secured a win.

In a bad year, I can still be happy about a few things: a surprisingly good first half, Johan's no hitter in June, RA's 20 game winning season. Let's hope to add a Cy Young award to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment