Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A Week (Plus) in the Life

Yesterday marked two months since Spike died. We're still mourning and missing him. I went on a bit of a crying jag the other night after listening to Always and Forever. I used to sing that to Spike.

Last week we had a home visit from a representative from BONES. We've been approved to adopt a beagle; we just have to wait for the right one. We're not quite ready ourselves, but wanted to start the process.

Jeff and I went hiking at Devil's Den on Saturday, when temperatures reached 50 degrees. We used to go there often; one summer we hiked the entire 20 miles of trails. But no dogs are allowed, so we haven't been there in about 15 years. It felt great to be hiking again. The only downside was that the trails were muddier than I expected.

I did a decent amount of work on a long term project that I've been procrastinating about. I was confident about getting the first part finished before I have a meeting about it next week. Then I blew it off this weekend--a perfect time to get some work done. Sigh.

I've been in a bit of a cooking mode lately. We had been in a bit of a dinner menu rut. I found a recipe that sounded great. Lemon Basil Shrimp Risotto. It was my first time making risotto--it was pretty labor intensive and we kept talking about the risotto problems on Top Chef. Unfortunately, we were disappointed. It didn't taste as good as we expected. The previous day I made steak with romesco sauce--that was delicious, and a flank steak chili yesterday. Jeff is thinking of making coq au vin next weekend. I guess the cooking mode is catching. Next weekend we're also going to dinner at a dog park friend's place. She's an excellent cook, and it will be fun to see the gang again.

Spring training has started. In a few weeks, we may catch a game or two on TV. It's funny to hear the Mets referred to as the National League Champions. It wasn't a dream after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment