Monday, June 11, 2018

Book 10: The Ice Limit

I finished this book last Monday, but I didn't finish this post because I wanted to check a few details, e.g. Captain Britton's first name. I had misplaced my book and finally found it Saturday.

This was another selection by Preston and Child, chronologically the sixth of 27, The Ice Limit was a good read, but I was a little disappointed. My expectations were too high, I guess.

I never got into these characters as much as I did other characters in Preston and Child books. The main character Sam McFarlane remained vague to me. He didn't exactly intrigue me and draw me into the story.

Then there's Eli Glinn; I wanted more of him. Apparently the authors agreed: he appears in future books.

Moving on to the women characters. Sigh. At least there were no exotic, voluptuous women this time around. I guess it was too cold for them to expose "dangerous" amounts of breast and/or leg. The brilliant mathematician Dr. Rachel Amira is described as "not exactly pretty" and sardonic. Her only other piece of characterization is eating peanuts and leaving piles of shells in her wake.

Captain Sally Britton commands the tanker that will transport the mysterious meteorite that has become the obsession of a billionaire. She is strong, confident, seemingly perfect but for one transgression. I wanted to know more about Sally, as I did Eli. I was intrigued by the bond that the two felt and wondered what could come of it.

Bottom line: good but disappointing book with women characters that were more than sexy caricatures, but not as well-rounded as I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment