Saturday, November 5, 2011

Last of the Dark: Mornings at the Dog Park

Jeff started working in lower Manhattan in late April. Most mornings I drive him to the South Norwalk railroad station at 6:30; there's a long wait to get a parking permit at the station garage.

At some point, I decided to take Spike to the dog park after I dropped Jeff off. Spike needs a morning walk anyway and it's nice to go to a place where he can be off-leash and see other dogs. We got into a routine doing a loop or two with Chris and Kira, sometimes with Roberta and Bugs, sometimes with Courtney and Cash.

The past few weeks,  the mornings have grown darker--we arrive around 6:45--I've been wielding a flashlight just in case. I remember that Balien was sprayed by a skunk in early morning.

The upside of early fall mornings have been: beautiful orange suns  (reminding me of this song) the silhouette of boat masts against the sound, and the rosy and violet glows of sunrise on the horizons.

Soon daylight savings will come to an end and our morning dog park visits will be in full daylight.

Part of me will miss the dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment