Saturday, May 5, 2012

Triple Crown of Holidays

Today is:

Cinco de Mayo: To many here in the US, it's an excuse to drink margaritas. In the Puebla region of Mexico, the date commemorates the victory of the outnumbered members of the Mexican army over the French at the Battle of Puebla. It's a day to celebrate unity, pride and patriotism.

Kentucky Derby Day: While not a holiday per se, it's another reason to have a party. Jeff and I often make mint juleps and race bets. This year, Jeff's away and the Derby has lost some of its appeal to me. I read recently that the horses are raced at too young an age and it's dangerous for them.

Spike's Half Way Day: Today Spike is eleven-and-a-half years old. When it clears up, I'll take him to the park. Perhaps we'll  have lunch at a restaurant with outside seating. Later he'll have a frosty paw. My priority today is to make him happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment