Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Day in the (Messed Up) Life

I've been intrigued by the Routines column in the Sunday New York Times. I've often thought about writing a post like that. But I don't have a normal routine on Sunday; I often work on weekends especially during the school year.

But I feel compelled to write today: the beginning of the second half of the year. What I did and didn't do today is emblematic of my year so far.

For the first time in weeks that I had an early morning appointment; I agreed to help at a Princeton Review booth from 9 to 12 at the Kids in Crisis Triathlon. We had materials about our test prep programs and promotional items to give away at the post-race Family Festival.

As (bad) luck would have it, I woke up around 4:30 but couldn't get back to sleep. I dozed for a minute or two here and there but when I finally got up, I did not feel rested.

At the event, I watched some runners pass the finish line in a spray of cooling water. Competing in a triathlon is a major accomplishment any time but especially in 90 degree weather. The festival was fun with food, live music, deejays, face painting and many vendors. But it was so hot; it was draining just to hang around.

After about an hour and a half, I left; there wasn't much activity at our booth. I came home, wrote in my journal, and Jeff and I went to Fat Cat for lunch. After our late lunch, I planned to do a few household projects but was too tired. So I took a nap. Then it was 4 pm.

This is the recent story of my life--days get away from me despite my best intentions (yes, I know about the path to hell.) Today is the beginning of the second half of the year. Unfortunately, today is representative of my year-to-date. I haven't written about goals or long-range plans in a while. But I wonder how I will manage at the end of 2012 with a 12-in 12 post.

What to do? I just jotted down a to-do list for the week. It's relatively ambitious--a mix of chores with some action on longer range goals.

It's my start on a way to turn 2012 around. At least I've got a half year to try to set it straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment