Thursday, January 5, 2012

11 in 11: Envy and Emulation

Last night I received a "Happy New Year" email from my friend Karen. Basically she had always wanted to do a clever holiday letter listing accomplishments and adventures. Although she didn't accomplish all her goals, she listed 11 things she did in 2011 that she hadn't done before.

As I read the list, I had mixed feelings. Karen listed three things that I wish I could put on my own 11 in 11 list. I'm happy for her and proud of her for these accomplishments but it reminded me that I did not have a successful 2011.

It also reminded me a little bit of when I read about someone from my class in law school: he was married to a famous, rich woman, had multiple degrees and was an expert in his field. Or when I ran into another classmate--seemingly wealthy and accomplished. It's not that I necessarily want the things that they have--it's more of a feeling that I should have/could have accomplished more. For example, if I had a novel of mine published--maybe I would be proud enough that I wouldn't care if I weren't rich, an expert in my field, etc.

I usually consider envy and jealousy a bad thing. Being jealous of my old classmates when I don't even know if they're happy is a bad envy.

But I read somewhere that envy can be good if you use it as motivation.

Which brings me back to Karen.

Maybe she didn't realize all her goals, but she took steps towards them and can legitimately celebrate those steps. That's where I failed. My year wasn't a complete loss but I couldn't come up with 11 in 11 (I only got to eight by stretching--my real total is five in 11.)

I have an idea of what I have to do--three of my last four posts have been about goals. I have to make goals and then make some sort of plan or map to get me on the right road.

Thanks Karen for your inspiring example.

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve.

    Technical problems kept me from responding earlier.

    ReplyDelete