Saturday, July 5, 2014

TCM Movie Night

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford 1936

TCM aired this film on my birthday; I recorded it because I like the leads William Powell and Jean Arthur. Jeff and I watched it last night.

The imdb reviews compare it to The Thin Man films. I get this; William Powell plays a detective, and he is perhaps best known as playing Nick Charles.

Powell plays Dr. Lawrence Bradford; Jean Arthur is his ex-wife Paula. Brad isn't a detective himself, but Paula is a mystery writer who draws him into murder cases. This particular case involves a jockey's death. The murder method is far-fetched.

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford has a strong supporting cast including James Gleason, Grant Mitchell, Eric Blore (it seems as if he was always a butler) and Robert Armstrong. It's a fun, fast-paced movie. I for one would have enjoyed a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment