Friday, July 4, 2014

Local Art

For me, the "summer" art season started with the Diverse Norwalk exhibit on my birthday. We had hoped to go to Westport's Art About Town that night too, but it was rescheduled due to rain. So we went the following week.

The opening night of Art About Town was like a block party. Main Street was closed to traffic. I noticed more food and music than art. Two bands were playing at opposite ends of the street, and several restaurants were selling wine and beer and had expanded their outdoor seating areas. There was face painting for the kids. My favorite part:



  

May 29 was also the first night of the Freese Park Artist Village, a community event that spanned three weekends with music, poetry and art. One of the Friday night events was s Stroll and Sip tour of the WPA murals. I participated twice, once shadowing two other docents, the second time as a co-leader. One of the planners at Norwalk 2.0 said they planned three weekends to avoid rain. In a way, it could have hurt the event, because people may have thought that they had plenty of time to check it out. I know I did.

Last weekend was the Norwalk Art Festival at Mathews Park. This was my favorite art event so far this year. We are just three blocks away and Mathews Park is dog friendly, so Jeff, Spike and I walked there. We got a hand painted magnet to add to our collection, a Christmas gift, a selection of delicious salad dressings including tomato basil, ginger lime, white nectarine lavender and cayenne watermelon. I don't like to call them salad dressings--it makes them sound too pedestrian. It's been fun experimenting with them.  

Next weekend the Loft Artists Association in Stamford is having a show. I'm looking forward to seeing more local art.


No comments:

Post a Comment