Saturday, March 26, 2016

Thoughts on the Dave Clark Five

Last night we watched a PBS show The Dave Clark Five and Beyond: Glad All Over. I was familiar with many of the songs, but heard a few I didn't know and learned some things about the band: for example--they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show 18 times.

I remember watching their first appearance on Ed Sullivan. My sister and I and our friends (also sisters) Terri and Michele gathered around our TV set Sunday night. I don't remember DC5's performance at all. I do remember that Terri said "Imitation Beatles are better than no Beatles."

Is that what I thought? Probably. We were so into the Beatles then.The Rolling Stones barely registered.

DC5 was the first band I saw in concert. I had wanted to see Paul Revere and the Raiders but they canceled their tour. My dad got tickets for DC5 instead. It was a good concert.

I learned to appreciate DC5 years later, catching some tunes on the radio and finding more on youtube.

Music from the sixties is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment