Saturday, February 23, 2019

Thinking about Pets

The other day was National Love Your Pet Day. Maybe I was a bit condescending when I wrote about it, but a pet is more than a one-day-a year commitment. I don't even like the word "pet."

Jeff and I've gotten a lot of crap about how we love/care for our dogs even from fellow dog lovers. We can deal with that. We'll gladly admit that we spoil our dogs.

Here's a story to prove the point: someone gave us filet mignon for Spike when Jeff helped with his computer. As I cooked the filet, I made a chick pea stew for us. (By the way, the chickpea stew sucked.) When we went on a NYC getaway, I heard a friend that we took Spike with us because we didn't have kid. Whatever.

Together Jeff and I have had two pets: Spike and Lola. Spike had a tough adjustment, but only for a few weeks. I remember the first time in the car, he threw up.That worried me because we wanted to take him places. Luckily that was a one-off situation.

Lola's adjustment has been tougher. She apparently had a much harder life; we'll never know for sure. I remember when I picked up a yardstick to measure something--this was after a year with us--and she ran from the room. Someone must have abused her.

Lola's made a lot of progress, but is still often fearful. We do what we can to love her and make her feel safe. That's one of our most important jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment