Friday, February 26, 2021

Movies Rewatched Courtesy of TCM

Doctor Zhivago (1965): I saw this movie years ago. Since then I've only managed to catch bits and pieces of it. TCM had it available on demand and I sat down to finally re-watch it in its entirety. Over the years, one image stood out to me: the sheet of ice covering the door to the train car as Zhivago and his family retreat in the Ural Mountains. 

I found the movie somewhat sterile; the great love didn't seem all that great. There was one tragic scene. Years after their love affair, Zhivago sees Lara from a bus, but he dies of a heart attack before he can reach her. I was much more moved by Nicholas and Alexandra, which also deals with the Russian Revolution.

Games (1967): All I really remembered about this movie was that I liked it. Inspired by a new friend, a couple move from pinball to mind games. At one point, I thought the games were stupid, but then things quickly got interesting before a twist ending.

Superfly (1972): I remember the Curtis Mayfield soundtrack more than the story in this film. I was disappointed that Freddie's Dead wasn't featured. According to IMDB, it only appeared in the film as an instrumental. The actual story is light. I didn't particularly like Priest but was glad he achieved his goal to get out of the drug business with one last score.

Charade (1963): We just re-watched this film tonight. Knowing all the twists takes away the suspense and thriller aspects of the film, but I still enjoyed the comedy. One of the funniest lines was when Scobie (George Kennedy) calls Regina (Audrey Hepburn) and says it's me, the guy who was in your room following a fight with Cary Grant. The inspector is obsessed that the murder victims died in their pajamas. He wants to know if it's an American fad. 

The film's last line is great. Cary Grant has finally reviewed his true identity after using four false names and proposes marriage. Regina hopes they have a lot of boys so they can name them all after him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment