Monday, May 8, 2023

Monday Morning Musings

After a lethargic week (maybe more) I feel as if I've finally accomplished something yesterday. I finished a book Tracks Across America  The Story of the American Railroad 1825-1900 by Leonard Everett Fisher. I've had it from the library since February. 

It doesn't even mention the Housatonic Railroad, but I found the chapter, "The First Railroads" relevant to Merwinsville. The last chapter was helpful for figuring the timeline of later railroad innovations and inventions.

The book is due at the library today. I had planned to finish the book over the weekend even before I realized that. I need to get back to more relevant research. 

I cleaned yesterday--the kitchen and the half bath.  It's sad that I have to note that here, but I've been in deep cleaning procrastination for a few weeks now. 

It was a beautiful weekend. Jace and I took several walks including a walk to Union Park where there was a celebration of sorts for the extension of the Norwalk River Valley Trail (NRVT.)

I went to the Westport Library book sale and bought five books.

1. Henry VIII and His Court by Neville Williams
    I read this book or at least parts of it in high school and based my term paper on Anne Boleyn
    largely on it.

2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
    I mainly want to read this because Desmond Hall used it as an example in his seminar.

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
    I never read this classic and want to remedy that.

4. Votes for Women by Winifred Conkling
    A history of the Suffragist movement written for young readers--it should be a quick read.

5. bad cat by Jim Edgar
    This is a book of funny photos and captions. I picked it up for my brother.

Shockingly, we have no medical appointments this week--a good reason to accomplish more (writing, cleaning, exercising, etc.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment