Monday, April 1, 2024

Book Five: Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon

I got up this morning and decided to read. I take a medication on Monday morning and can't eat or drink anything or lie down for a half hour afterward. I recently realized I'm reading too much on my phone instead of reading books. Five books for the first quarter of the year isn't a good rate with a goal of reading 40 books, but I'm not going to sweat it. 

Anyway, back to Harvest Home: I picked up the book because I remember liking the TV mini-series starring Bette Davis back in 1978. I have mixed feelings about the book. The story was a slow moving one. I'm okay with that, but don't think it was necessary to read so much detail about Beth's childhood. But the last hundred pages or so were compelling. I finished the book as I ate lunch.

Then there's the writing. Some language is very florid--I often had to re-read a line or two. I also had to look up words several times. Tryon lost me with something to the effect of breasts straining against the woman's blouse--it's such a cliche. It reminds me of the dangerous amounts of leg and breast in some early Preston & Child books. 

The story itself was good enough to outweigh the annoying writing style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment