Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Second Favorite Film: Citizen Kane

I previously listed my five favorite movies: http://lynnecoll.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-05-29

My second favorite films tops the American Film Institute's list while Entertainment Weekly ranks it as number two.

Many others discuss the brilliant innovations of Citizen Kane, such as the deep focus cinematography. I'm just going to share what I love about the film.

First, I love the setup: the eerie panning of Xanadu, a death followed by loud tones of the newsreel, "News on the March."

I love the alternating narratives--I fell in love with this device in Norah Loft's novel, Jassy http://www.amazon.com/Jassy-Norah-Lofts/dp/0449241017. Parts of the stories overlap; the timeline weaves in and out--like a path in a labyrinth--and Kane and rosebud remain a mystery.

Brilliant scene: Charles and first wife Emily growing apart, as demonstrated by the lengthening breakfast table between them.

Strange but lovable scene: a song and dance extravaganza about Charlie Kane in a newspaper office, complete with chorus girls.

I love the confrontation scene between Kane and Boss Gettys, as Gettys's gentlemanly behavior eclipses that of Kane's, and Susan's cry, "What about me?" is answered by marriage.

Of course, a film is much more than a collection of scenes. But I can happily watch Citizen Kane in its entirely as well as its individual scenes as I happen to catch it on TCM. It's possible to find something new with each viewing. The characters are complicated and compelling, regardless of how likable they may or may not be.

I first saw this film in a college class, Film and American Society 1930's through 1950's. It was a revelation that is hard to explain to younger people who have grown up with hundreds of cable channels, VCR's, DVD players and Netflix queues. I'm happy that technology allows me to watch Citizen Kane at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment