Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Networking Blues

Those in the know say that most jobs are found through networking. Want ads and job postings are passe.

But what exactly is networking? How do you know that you're doing it right?

In the past, I've been good at cocktail parties--meeting new people and making small talk. But networking events are something different. There's this constant pressure--God forbid you make small talk. You can't just introduce yourself. You have to sum up our essence in a sound bite. It used to be a 30 second pitch--now 30 seconds is too long--it has to be a 15 second pitch.

At the same time, there's pressure to be likeable and trustworthy so people will want to help you, while at the same time being open to help others.

While I understand the theory of networking, current practice is especially tough. I remember how annoyed I was when someone I hardly knew called me up and asked who did I know in big companies.

"No one," I said. She never called me again.

I don't want to be that person. When I ask for help, I want it to be meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment