Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Art Journals

Last winter I picked up an issue of Art Journaling by Somerset Studio. It inspired me to start my own art journal.

I re-purposed one of my blank notebooks. In it I wrote traditional journal entries, doodled, stamped pages and added postcards, photos and stickers. I even made a few attempts at drawing and watercolor.

The other day I came across the magazine again, pulled out my journal and played. I wrote a little, doodled, drew a picture of Spike and pasted in a picture of my father holding me when I was about one.

I couldn't help but compare my journal pages to some of those highlighted in Art Journaling. Bad idea. I know not to compare my first drafts to published works. It's the same principle. I reminded myself that you have to do something badly if you ever want to do it well.

At least I've got the first part down.

No comments:

Post a Comment