Thursday, May 19, 2011

It was 475 years today...

May 19, 1536 when Anne Boleyn was executed at The Tower of London.

To some she is just the first beheaded in the rhyme about Henry VIII's six wives: divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.

Some of us are fascinated with her. I wrote my senior term paper about Anne; I have 13 books about her; I have an Anne Boleyn doll, paperweight, pin as well as Six Wives of Henry VIII paper dolls and coffee mug. (The Six Wives dish towel from Hampton Court disintegrated a long time ago.)

I went to London for a week in the early '80's. Hever Castle was closed but we made it to Hampton Court. I think that was our only trip outside London. I was thrilled to look up and see the intertwined H and A in the archways at the gatehouse.

Anne endures.

Anne continues to enthrall us.

We will never forget her.

No comments:

Post a Comment