Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dog Park Mornings

I recently heard a doctor on one of the morning shows say that pollen is worse in the morning than later in the day. So I've avoided morning visits to the dog park. But yesterday and this morning, I decided to risk pollen rather than deal with temps in middle-to-high 90's.

We arrived each morning around 6:45--a relatively quiet time between the 6 o'clock and 8 am regulars. I felt peaceful as we walked through the shade of the woods, listening to birds and inhaling sweet scents of honeysuckle and mountain laurel.

Yesterday as we walked across the field, I saw a pair of mallards--a male and a female--emerge from the bushes. Spike was intrigued; he moved slowly towards them. Then the female squawked a warning and the two flew off. I wondered about their mating habits and whether they were protecting a nest. It occurred to me that I had never seen ducks at Taylor Farm park before--at least not in the bushes.

Sometimes it's the small things that leave a big impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment