Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tech Troubles

Thursday morning when I tried to go online, I couldn't. I worked through the onscreen suggestions--the usual turn-off and unplug variety. Then I called my Internet provider and spent about 30 minutes working through an automated help process. Most of that time I was saying, "continue" or "I need more time." My land line (same provider) wasn't working when I first called. My ancient cell phone was dying: I made the call on it, tethered by a charger to outlets while moving from room-to-room to unplug the modem or turn the computer on and off. The next day I had to borrow a friend's cell phone when mine could not store enough battery charge to power on.

These mishaps made me think about how dependent I've become on computer and phone technology. I was one of the last cell-phone adopters. I wasn't comfortable with being always reachable by phone. I hated to see a parade of people walking down the street on their cellphones. Even worse was seeing a similar parade of drivers.

Within days of getting my cellphone, I got stuck in a traffic jam due to construction on I-95. I was relieved that I could call Jeff to let him know why I would be late. I soon got used to that kind of convenience.

I was also slow to get used to writing on the monitor screen. In the olden days, we used to write out things longhand before typing them up. Pen and paper seemed more creative somehow. Now I realize how much easier it is to write directly onto a word document.

Then there's the Internet: research reference, phone directory, repository of records, entertainment center, point of contact.

Sometimes I wonder what it was like to live without electricity. Obviously, electricity is not a necessity; people lived without it for millennia. I romanticized about living in accordance with daily rhythms--working in the daylight, going to bed with the dark, enjoying live concerts and plays instead of listening to CD's and watching TV and movies.

But now...I don't know. I can't romanticize living without the Internet. Barring some catastrophe, I won't have to worry about it.

Back to the cell phone situation. On Sunday, Jeff and I decided enough is enough and ditched our old cell phones for 4G Droids. Now I just have to learn to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment