Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review of the Writing Retreat

At Saturday lunch, I told everyone that I had written four stories that morning. It sounded impressive until I added that the four were six-word stories. I did more writing that afternoon--nothing that I was ready to share--but it was a start.

A presenter at an International Women's Writer Guild retreat once said that retreats aren't about the writing but are about the camaraderie.I disagree; both are important. Getting uninterrupted time to write is a gift. Often writers have to squeeze their writing into spare moments here and there.

I don't mean to dismiss the camaraderie. There's something about being with other writers who understand what you are trying to do and the challenges you face--people who won't be offended when you don't socialize because you need to hide yourself away somewhere to write.

I hope I can get to another retreat before next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment