Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Real Simple Isn't

I picked up a copy of the March issue of Real Simple. From the cover, I was interested in this month's organizing makeover (I can always use help organizing) and to a lesser extent, back-to-basics beauty.

The organizing makeover was a disappointment: it focused on setting up a command center in a kitchen corner, hallway nook or centrally located home office--not appropriate for me. I figured the beauty basics would include something like making facial masks from oatmeal or other common household products. It was more of a how-to series than anything else.

I did find one recipe that sounded interesting--curried lentils with chicken and potatoes--and I was interested in the hummus road test. Overall, not a good return on my magazine investment.

But then I read the pictorial, Work clothes under $100; it reminded me of what angered me about the last issue I'd purchased. First when you turned to the page, it said nothing is more than $150--not the $100 listed in the Table of Contents. But then 12 of the 24 styles were items of jewelry. Jewelry? WTF?

I love jewelry as much as the next person--maybe more--but I don't consider jewelry as part of my essential work wardrobe. In three of the five looks featured, the cost of the jewelry far exceeds the cost of the clothes.

I don't get it; what's so simple about this? Who is Real Simple's audience? The Mitt Romney-rich who think they can relate to the middle class? I'm perplexed.

No comments:

Post a Comment