Saturday, March 23, 2013

Film Round-Up

I haven't written about films for a while. Here are our latest Netlflix selections:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: We enjoyed this film--good fish-out-of-water story and a great cast. Director John Madden also directed Shakespeare in Love, which is one of our favorites. After seeing Madden's name in the end credits, I could see the similarities between the two films.

Vamps: At first I thought it was cute, then weird, then cute again. A unique take on a vampire tale that was fun and charming due to an upbeat script and its leads, Alicia Silverstone and Kristen Ritter. It also has Richard Lewis as a romantic lead; that's unexpected.

Prometheus: This was billed as a prequel to Alien. It was intriguing, the kind of film I could watch a few more times to try to make sense of it all. It also contains the most harrowing abortion sequence I've ever seen. Just imagine self-aborting when the fetus is fighting you--scary as hell.

Looper: I have a weakness for time travel movies, even if they're dumb. This one is better than I expected based on the TV trailers. It's even got telekinesis.  I like a future that isn't immutable, that we can change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment