Saturday, January 17, 2015

What's My Normal?

Yesterday I wrote about Spike returning to his normal life and my mother returning to hers. I started thinking about my life and what's normal for me.

First thing, the holidays are over; it's time to get back to work, get down to business, (insert your favorite cliché here.) Many still have holiday decorations up. At least we've taken ours down, though we still need to put them away in the bin.

With Spike's recovery, another aspect of my life's returning to normal. Worrying about Spike disrupted my sleep and my routine. I was so scared that I didn't want to leave him alone. I was haunted by the fear that he would die all alone. But I couldn't continue to live like that--I have responsibilities. Now I feel more secure about leaving him.

As my mother returns to her normal routine, I'll be freed up from some responsibilities to her. I've been visiting her about three times a week. I think that will continue for awhile, but it will be easier once she's back in her own apartment.

Now--the hard part. What exactly is my normal?  And is it the life that I want?

My normal isn't bad, but there are things I'd like to change. I want to exercise more, drink less, eat  better, read more books, see friends more often, write more, blog more, do more creative things.

To make this changes, I need to take action, set goals. A wish list by itself won't cut it. I've got some work ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment