Sunday, September 11, 2016

TV Time

In baseball season, we mostly watch the Mets. There are exceptions when the Mets play badly or when there's an especially interesting episode of another show we watch, such as Outlander or Game of Thrones.

The Mets are in the playoff hunt and are doing well, so we're tuned in.

BBC America is running a Star Trek marathon--the original series (uncut) with a few Next Generation episodes in the late night.

I remember catching the end of the first episode. My father was watching it; he told me a character could change appearance and I thought he meant Spock. D'oh. My brother Jim and I enjoyed the series. We read books about it and often talked about it.

Re-watching these shows in the past--I've felt that they haven't held up. But as Jeff said the other night, they were innovative. I've read about the conflicts Gene Roddenberry had with the network executives. They didn't believe a woman could be in charge--so Number 1 in the original pilot was lost. I shouldn't be surprised--I remember shows of the mid-sixties. In any chase scene, the woman was destined to fall down and sprain her ankle. Roddenberry also fought to have an alien in the crew--specifically Spock. Obviously, the show wouldn't have been the same without him.

I'm looking forward to watching some of my favorite episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment