Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Book 17: Dance of Death

My brother lent me three more Preston and Child books: Brimstone, Dance of Death, and Book of the Dead. I didn't realize it, but these books make up the Diogenes Trilogy. FYI, eleven of the books I read this year are by Preston and Child.

Last night around eight, I realized that I had about 120 pages left in Dance of Death. I wanted to finish the book and settled down with a cup of tea on the couch. When I got into bed later, I still had about 40 pages left.I tried to keep reading, but kept dozing off. I decided to finish the chapter, but couldn't even finish the page and gave up. I finished the book this morning. Almost immediately, I was compelled to start the last in the trilogy--The Book of the Dead .

Brimstone had ended with most of its characters believing that FBI Agent Aloysius Pendergast was dead. But who was the mysterious man with two different colored eyes who took a brick from the wall that imprisoned Pendergast in an Italian castle?

Spoiler alert: it was Pendergast's brother Diogenes, as revealed in Dance of Death. Diogenes is driven by intense hatred of his brother. Diogenes saved Aloysius only to crush him later. He didn't fully succeed in killing all of those close to Aloysius, but it's Aloysius who ends up in FBI custody for a murder that Diogenes committed at the end of Dance of Death. 

Second spoiler alert: I was bummed about the supposed death of Margo Green from Relic and Reliquary. Luckily Margo survived; Aloysius got her to a private clinic to recover: a fake-out reminiscent of George RR Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment