Monday, December 17, 2018

What I'm Watching

New Seasons:

Outlander: I liked the first two episodes, but the next two were lackluster. I want to know more about the skull with silver filings (when will that be explained) but I don't particularly care about Jamie's son. Now I'm afraid Brianna will end up on the ship with the pirate that abused and robbed her parents.

Vanderpump Rules: This is my guilty pleasure but they didn't bring it in the first two episodes: Jax and Brittany got engaged; James is an asshole. Whatever.

Top Chef: enjoying the first two episodes though it's too early to know the individual chefs.

On Netflix: we liked the second season of Jessica Jones, and got through about half of The Last Kingdom's second season. We now have Hulu and watched a few episodes of The Handmaid's Tale. Chilling.

A new limited series we're watching is Escape from Dannemora. I had read about it beforehand and wanted to watch it particularly for Patricia Arquette. Saturday I watched a two-hour documentary on the escape--interesting to compare the two.

Saturday night we caught the film, The Death of Stalin, although we'd never heard of it before. Once I got over the idea of Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, I enjoyed it. Simon Russell Beale, who played Lavrenti Beria, looked more like Khrushchev. It reminded me of the casting of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII. Buscemi is more believable as Khrushchev than Rhys Meyers is as Henry. I couldn't accept Rhys Meyers' Henry.

Yesterday I half-watched The Best Years of Our Lives and It Happened One Night as I cleaned. Best Years is a classic that I never get tired of. It Happened One Night is a fun screwball comedy. Let's just forget the line, "What she needs is a guy that'd take a sock her once a day, whether it's coming to her or not," per IMDB. I like Colbert, but wonder what Bette Davis would have done with the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment