Sunday, March 3, 2019

Jack Rose


Years ago when I first started drinking legally, I would go out to dinner with my father. My dad wasn't much of a wine drinker, but he enjoyed a cocktail before dinner.

I don't remember why I started drinking Jack Rose's. I doubt if was my father's choice. Maybe it was something I saw on a cocktail menu; maybe a bartender recommended it. I tried it and liked it.

***

I hadn't had one in years. About two years ago, I clipped a Jack Rose recipe from The New York Times. Apparently it had once been considered one of the six basic cocktails.

The other day I heard this report on the radio. It inspired me to buy ingredients and make Jack Rose cocktails. 

The verdict: Now I remember why I liked the drink; it's good. Since I know have a bottle of Laird's Applejack, I'll make it again--playing with the lemon juice/Grenadine proportions. Maybe I'll see Jack Rose on cocktail menus again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment