Thursday, March 23, 2023

Book 10: Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

This book is so good that after I finished it and the Reader's Guide, I immediately began to re-read it--maybe not every word--I skipped around a bit. It's a terrific book. 

On her 26th birthday in 1976, Dana becomes dizzy in her living room and suddenly finds herself in woods near a river where a young boy is drowning. Dana saves his life. When the boy's father points a gun at her, she finds herself back home. 

Unfortunately, this is only her first trip back in time. Dana, a black woman, soon discovers she is traveling across the country to Maryland and back in time to the antebellum era. The boy Rufus that she saved is the heir to a slaveholder's plantation and her own ancestor. She returns to the past any time his life is in danger. 

With each visit, Dana's time in the past lengthens. She must learn how to navigate plantation life as well as as grapple with the legacy of slavery and how it contributed to her own existence.

I have to return this book to the library, but I need to get my own copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment