Sunday, April 23, 2023

TV Time--Star Trek: Picard

In a recent post, I complained about the "lost" son of Picard. Last night we watched the series finale, and I understand why Jack is Picard's son. It's the whole point of the plot, but I still don't like it. I also don't like Jack Crusher--he's entitled and whiny. He seems annoyed that Picard doesn't admit to missing a family life at a time when Picard doesn't know he has a child. It also seems out of character for Beverly Crusher to hide their child from Picard. 

Picard and his former first officer Riker use the starship Titan (with help from Seven of Nine) to rescue Beverly and Jack. When it appears the ship is doomed, Riker suggests Picard attempt to bond with Jack. Fine, but they decide to bond in the holodeck--after it's been established that the life support has been cut in parts of the ship. There's no way the holodeck would be running in this scenario. I was mad that if I could see that, the writers couldn't or worse didn't care. 

There were several predictable moments in the show. The Titan's Captain Shaw is the Starfleet antagonist to Picard and Riker. I knew he would redeem himself by dying heroically and that he would  call Seven of Nine Seven (previously he used her original last name Hansen.) Then there's LaForge's declaration that they lost Data forever. Yeah, right. 

The original villain Vadic (Amanda Plummer) is intriguing, but apparently not enough for the writers. Vadic is a rogue Changeling fighting the Federation. The Changelings are also not enough for this show--enter the Borg.  Amping up the villains reminded me of my complaint about Crimson Shore. It was more effective here. 

I didn't really need to see the whole Next Generation gang together, but have to admit I teared up. Overall, I enjoyed the show despite my criticisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment