Thursday, April 27, 2023

Book 12: An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

It took me awhile to select a book after I finished In the Time of Butterflies. Actually, I kept rereading parts of Kindred. It was that good.

I first heard of Tayari Jones on a website about The Artist Way. I remembered her name when I saw this book at the library. 

Celestial and Roy have been married for a year-and-a-half when, on a visit to Roy's parents, Roy is arrested for a crime he didn't commit. He is later convicted and sentenced to 12 years in prison. 

As Roy's years in prison exceed the years of their marriage, Celestial finds she can't continue as a wife. When Roy's conviction is vacated after five years, he takes hope in the fact that Celestial has not officially divorced him. 

An American Marriage is both tragic and hopeful. Jones is a talented writer. Here are a few phrases that stood out to me.

        Memory is a queer creature, an eccentric curator.

        Marriage is like grafting a limb onto a tree trunk.

I want to read more of Jones' work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment