Monday, September 11, 2023

Book 22: bird by bird Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott

bird by bird came out in 1994. I remember reading and/or hearing about how good it was. I didn't buy it then because I already had several writing books. What can I say? That was a mistake.

This book is funny. I love when Lamott talks about her writing students who want to know if they need agents before they've managed to write anything. "They kind of want to write, but they really want to be published." 

She quotes the old Vikki Carr song, "It Must be Him"as she waits to hear from her agent or editor after submitting her manuscript. 

Here's a line that I copied in my journal, "Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor." 

There were so many other great lines and insights. 

I want to re-read the book with a highlighter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment