Tuesday, December 14, 2010

In a moment...

After my afternoon walk with Spike, I realized that I had misplaced a glove. I retraced my steps to the front door. Not only did I drop my glove in the doorway, but I had dropped it in the exact spot that propped our exterior door open.

We've had some security issues in our condo. If I hadn't noticed my dropped glove, I could have created a new security problem in my home.

What a set up. What could have happened in those few moments between my dropping and my recovery of the glove?

What if I hadn't discovered it...until after someone took advantage...

One small action, one moment can change everything. Yes, that sounds a bit melodramatic like a promo for ABC soaps. But it could still be true.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of alternate timelines and parallel universes, most brilliantly portrayed in "It's a Wonderful Life" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650. A writer I know wrote a story about
different outcomes that cascaded from a man's decision to turn left or right at a corner. The story ended with Tom is dead or Tom is dead or Tom is dead or Tom is dead.

Chance, coincidence, synchronicity, destiny, a writing prompt, whatever. Always food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment