Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Has Arrived

Today is the officially first day of spring. I'm not as excited about it as I was last year because we have had such a mild winter. Temperatures approached 70 degrees today; I've seen blooming daffodils for weeks and the first yellow forsythia today. This is a huge contrast to last winter with snow banks lasting for weeks.

Today is the vernal equinox. I thought that meant day and night times are equal--according to Wikipedia that's not correct. Instead the center of the Sun is in the same plane as the Earth's equator. Live and learn.

I also learned that it's North American bias to call today the vernal or spring equinox. The preferred term is March equinox.  Today is also World Storytelling Day, World Citizen Day and in the Annapolis, Maryland boating community--the Burning of the Socks Day.  

Sounds like a big day all-around.

No comments:

Post a Comment