Thursday, June 14, 2012

2012 Writers Circle Retreat: Postscript

Last week at this time, I was beginning my writers retreat at Wisdom House.

I enjoyed my time there: I spent two full mornings writing. I reconnected with fellow writers and met a few new ones and more here.

I read my work in the Saturday evening share. Our reaction to the share is universal: we are all blown away by our work. We write poetry, fiction, non-fiction, plays, essays. We have different styles and different goals. Yet we are all writers and can relate on that level.

An important aspect of writing retreats is giving myself permission and an interrupted period of time to write. I try not to pressure myself to write every moment but just allow it to happen.

I heard a story that a writer stopped going to retreats because she used retreats as an excuse not to write the rest of the year. The weird thing is that I understand it. I usually struggle with writing when I return from a retreat.  It's just too easy to fall into a daily routine in which writing is a lower priority.

I wish I had the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment