Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Game of Thrones--More Thoughts on Season Two

For the most part, I loved it. I've written before about my issues with the "tits are us" HBO approach. But my biggest problem with season two was the scene of Joffrey abusing the whores, Roz and Daisy. Tyrion sent them in an ill-advised plan to drain some of Joffrey's poison. The scene did not appear in the books and it was unnecessary to show Joffrey's sadism and cruelty which had been shown multiple times.

After the first season of Game of Thrones, I started reading the books. On Tuesday I finished book five, A Dance with Dragons. I've enjoyed the series more than the books (which is unusual for me.) I've found that I've already forgotten some of the books' plot points. Maybe it's because I've read much of the books just before falling asleep. But I also think it's because Martin has too many characters, too many plots, and too many instances of they're dead, oops they're not (I'm already sick of this trope from soap operas.)

One of the biggest changes from book two to season two is the interaction between Tywin Lannister and Arya Stark. It's been brilliant. I've been a fan of  Charles Dance since A Jewel in the Crown and Maisie Williams can hold her own. I've also loved Sophie Turner (Sansa), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) and Issac Hempstead Wright (Bran). All the acting has been stellar (although I'm not enjoying the Robb/Talisa subplot which I attribute to sloppy writing rather than poor acting.)

All in all, a solid season. I'll start the hiatus with new True Blood episodes and continue to watch some Game of Thrones reruns.

No comments:

Post a Comment