Friday, February 8, 2013

Feet Don't Fail Me Now!

I've had more foot injuries than I care to remember. Most were twists or sprains but I've broken a foot a few times. The worst was in 1986 when I broke my metatarsal(s) and spent a good part of the summer in a boot and on crutches.

Even with the metatarsal break, I remained relatively independent.

I lost that independence in 2003, when I broke my ankle. I couldn't put any weight on my ankle. I couldn't open doors for myself. I couldn't carry anything unless I could hang it around my neck. I couldn't even get into the front seat of the car.

I broke my other ankle in 2007. Thanks to a wireless connection, I could do most of my job at home in bed. But I needed assistance to do almost everything else.

Recently my left ankle has bothered me--usually when walking down the steps. Last night it hurt a lot just walking across the floor. Since we're in the midst of a possibly historic snowstorm, I wonder if the two are related.

This morning Spike chose to walk down across our front lawn instead of using the stairs and the sidewalk. There was just enough snow to make the grass slippery and I walked gingerly, leaning on the building for support, afraid that a wrong step could lead to injury.

All I can do is take it slowly. And carefully. Feet don't fail me now. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment