Monday, February 11, 2013

The Aftermath of Nemo

I can't say that Nemo snuck up on us. At first, the forecasters only vaguely talked of snow. It was Wednesday before they said that this storm would be a big one.

When I first heard the name Nemo, I thought WTF? Then I heard that snowstorms will now be named. That got me thinking. It was probably because of sexism that only hurricanes (her - icanes) were named in the past, so maybe this is a good idea. It will definitely help people distinguish between snowstorms. Nemo is more memorable than the blizzard of 2013.

We've been lucky so far this winter with only a few inches of snow at a time. Even now with 22 inches of snow, we made out relatively well. A few miles up the highway, some towns got three feet.

We stayed in Friday and Saturday except to walk Spike and dig out our cars. Luckily, my car was less buried than Jeff's. I was the one who had to go out Sunday (a tutoring appointment and a class.) The main roads were fine by then at least where I had to go. But I did have some trouble with some of the side roads near my student's house.

Seeing mounds of snow reminds me of the horrible winter we had in 2011. I hope this is a solo shot of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment