Friday, February 8, 2013

Netflix Movie Night: Beasts of the Southern Wild

We watched Beasts of the Southern Wild last Saturday and I've been thinking about it ever since. You can read a description of the plot without getting the real sense of the movie.

It's lyrical, mystical and fantastical with haunting images and narration. I was enthralled. In an odd way that I can't explain, it reminded me of Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven.

The best part of the movie was the performance of Quvenzhane Wallis as Hushpuppy.  She was only six--with no acting experience--at the time of filming. Last month, Quvenzhane became the youngest ever nominated for a Best Actress Oscar.

Amid many favorable reviews is this critique by bell hooks. I missed most of the issues she raised but she gave me a lot to think about and question.

No comments:

Post a Comment