Sunday, February 10, 2013

Plays I've Seen

This post from Shakesville a few weeks ago got me thinking. I'm not sure what's the last play I saw--maybe Hairspray.

I decided to list all the plays that I can remember/name.

Broadway:
Hairspray--I preferred the movie--the songs were better and I thought the play focused more on Edna than Tracy
Rocky Horror Show: great fun
Death of a Salesman: we went to see my favorite actor, Brian Dennehy
Smokey Joe's Cafe (more like a concert than a play)
The Little Foxes
They're Playing Our Song (when our first attempt to see The Little Foxes failed because Elizabeth Taylor was ill--there's a funny story involved)
A Chorus Line

Elsewhere:
Miss Moffat--Philadelphia tryout for a musical version of The Corn is Green starring Bette Davis and Dorian Harewood
Macbeth--Stamford, CT starring Christopher Plummer and Glenda Jackson. I regret to say I fell asleep which is no comment on the production or acting
West Side Story--three productions: New Haven CT; Bucks County PA Playhouse on high school trip; Greenwich CT high school
Romeo and Juliet--with West Side Story above at Bucks County
Man of La Mancha--Bucks County PA Playhouse
The Stories Written on Your Face are the Ones You Must Believe--written by my sister-in-law, Thea Cooper in NYC
A scene from The Bride as Frankenstein also written by Thea Cooper in NYC
A staged reading of a musical based on the film Topper with Cole Porter songs at Norwalk CT Community College

There are one or two I can't name and perhaps a few I don't remember now.

ETA: Jeff's right that I forgot Jesus Christ Superstar and the Al Pacino play, Salome, which is vague to me. But I don't remember the Ty Cobb play/reading.

ETA 2: I forgot about plays at Shakespeare on the Sound, a series of outdoor performances in Rowayton, CT. I saw Henry V and Twelfth Night. I also saw an outdoor Shakespeare play in Stamford; I don't remember which play but I remember I had seen it before.

ETA 3: We also saw a play at the Westport Playhouse about Edward de Vere being the author of Shakespeare's plays. Elizabeth Ashley starred in the production.

ETA 4: Suddenly remembered that I also saw Godspell on Broadway.

ETA 5: House of Blue Leaves--Ridgefield Playhouse

ETA 6: D'oh. I saw Evita in London and at the now defunct Darien Dinner Theatre. 

1 comment:

  1. Here are a few plays that you didn't mention that we saw in Stamford, CT

    1) Cobb a play about Ty Cobb's Life with Oscar Charleston the Black Ty Cobb

    2) A play about Jesus Christ Super Star staring some guy who apparently did this role a thousand or more times.

    3) A play about King Herod where Al Pacino played King Herod.

    ReplyDelete